Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Diabetes

Last week I went for a physical. I had several things about my health confirmed...aka officially diagnosed, things that I already knew in the back of my mind. Because I am overweight I have developed diabetes. I knew it was coming, since I had gestational diabetes. If you have gestational diabetes you are at a 60 percent greater risk of developing Type II diabetes than someone who did not have it.
My weight is something I have struggled with since high school. I have had success when I followed Weight Watchers and exercised. But, I always seem to find an excuse to "take a break" or get too busy. My favorite cartoon shows a doctor speaking to his patient; "What fits your busy schedule better, exercising one hour a day or being dead 24 hours day?" That pretty much sums it up!
I am in my final semester of nursing school, you would think I would know better. Which, I do. I know I am not the only one. There are plenty of overweight healthcare professionals! I don't want to be one of them. One of the most important things that nurses provide for their patients is teaching. I don't want my patients to look at me and think "Yeah, right, you don't follow the rules, why should I?
I found a website/blog that really motivated me today. http://theantijared.blogspot.com/
This guy has it figured out!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hey Katie, I think it's awesome you have this mind set. It is so easy to "take a break" or think this one ice cream won't hurt. I struggle with weight loss too. It's just such a hard fight! I really need to start thinking of it as a life change and not a diet. Last year I lost 30 pounds, and I've gained it all back. I just went back to my old eating habits.

I read on your sidebar that you're a new grandma! Congratulations!!!