Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Freshman Orientation





Mark and I were at Sonoma State the last couple of days for Freshman Orientation. A couple of Mark's friends rode up there with us, as well as one other mom, my friend Susan. The boys stayed on campus in a dorm, we went to the Best Western down the road.

We checked in and then went and got the boys ID card pictures taken. We discovered that we were going to be attending different activities from the kids, even eating meals separately. I was kinda bummed because I was looking forward to spending a little time with Mark. So off we went, our different ways. I found some of the classes to be interesting and informative. I did end up skipping out on some classes because I couldn't stand the stupid questions that some of the parents were asking.


We had a great dinner at a restaurant called Lattitudes. I had the crab cakes (of course). They were pretty good. The restaurant was on a small lake with geese and had a covered outside dining area overlooking the lake. It was very peaceful. The waiter was a recent Sonoma State graduate so we got the student's view of the college from him.


The second day we started out having better attendance but then we blew off the afternoon classes and went to check out the campus. We found a butterfly garden, and a lake with ducks and geese, we checked out the library, and Charlie Brown's Cafe. I took lots of pictures of the ducks and geese but none really turned out that good.

I feel that I have finally matured enough to go away to college! I am very envious of Mark and his exciting future. I am so glad that I am in school too. I wish that I had taken the opportunity in my youth, but better late than never! I was just not mature enough to handle that at the time. Oh well, I don't think I would like having a roommate anyway. (besides Jason and Jacob that is!)

We joined up with the kids at 330 at an informational fair, I grabbed all the pamphlets my purse could hold. I have tons of information about Sea Wolf Bucks (money card you can reload), studying abroad, meal plans, book store information (Barnes and Noble), student health (I was impressed with their facility), job information (GET ONE MARK), and ultimate Frisbee. There was lots of other booths too, but Mark wasn't interested in joining sports or a fraternity.

After we left we went to a little hole in the wall called the Redwood Cafe in Cotati. I had a Spicy Thai Shrimp Wrap that came with mango salsa. I have to tell you a secret...this meal was ten times more tasty than the restaurant with the great atmosphere. I will even go as far as saying that it was amazing. I can't wait till August 23rd when we move Mark to school and I can go back and have another one!!!

1 comment:

Melissa C. said...

I'm jealous too!! I want to go AWAY to school. How exciting for you guys! And sad, I'm sure you'll miss him.

Melissa