Sunday, June 22, 2008

Some Vacation...

I was looking forward to having 2 weeks off with my husband. We had no great plans, maybe a few day trips and to catch up on "us" time. The fire gods had other plans for us. Jason is off gallivanting around Humboldt County (his old stomping grounds) fighting fires. Lightening strikes have started like a gazillion fires up in Humboldt and Shasta County. So much for time together. Jacob was very unhappy about the turn of events as well. He was in a horrible mood when he found out Jason was leaving. He even went out to Jason's truck and hid his keys. Luckily for Jason he had a spare set of keys, cuz I don't think Jake would have given them back!

I plan to make the most of my time off. Mark, Jake, and I went bowling yesterday. The balls are sure heavier than I remember! You know, the benches are the same ones that were there when I used to go watch my Dad bowl when I was little. I don't think they have updated anything in that bowling alley other than the computer for scoring and the video games in the last 40 years! Good old Woodhaven Lanes.

Last night I went out for an evening of wine tasting and music at the Woodland Opera House. There was a silent and live auction as well. But, as you all know, since I am a student and I am getting ready to send Mark to college, I am my own favorite charity right now!


Enjoying a little vino.

By the way, my favorite wine from the event was from The Berryessa Gap Vineyard.
I don't see it on the website but it was a Tannat, the woman at the booth said it is an obscure grape grown in Uruguay and South France. It is usually used in mixing. I thought it was really a nice wine by itself, very mellow.

What a horrible picture. It was so hot, I was sweaty, my hair was blowing around...blah, blah, blah. I was having a wonderful time though. The music was great. Dr. Baker (in the background) played piano music. (I grew up across the street from him, I used to love listening to him during the summer evenings.) Then Paul Coker and the Melody Makers played. They were marvelous!

Paul Coker and the Melody Makers

If you want to catch them they will be at the Car Show at Bagel City on July 5th.


Today Jacob and I headed over to Bagel City for breakfast to see our favorite Bagel Sales Associate. (Markie) I finally decided to take the plunge and buy the San Francisco. Because of the moratorium on salmon fishing, prices on salmon (and lox) are getting pretty high, and this was reflected in the price of the sandwich. However, I consider it money well spent, cuz it was delicious! It was also an educational experience, because I learned what the heck capers are. I had no idea. I have eaten them before and liked them, just didn't know what they consisted of!
So for those of you who are unsophisticated like me....wikipedia says: The caper (Capparis spinosa L.) is a perennial spiny shrub that bears rounded, fleshy leaves and big white to pinkish-white flowers. A caper is also the pickled bud of this plant. The bush is native to the Mediterranean region, growing wild on walls or in rocky coastal areas throughout. The plant is best known for the edible bud and fruit (caper berry) which are usually consumed pickled. Other species of Capparis are also picked along with C. spinosa for their buds or fruits.


After breakfast we loaded up and headed over to the Best Show on Tracks. I enjoyed watching the mules pull the harvester and looking at all the old farm equipment. I imagined life as a farmer's wife back the in late 1800-early 1900's, watching your husband out harvesting the crops, bringing him his meal...(yes I have an active imagination) Jacob was interested in looking around for as long as his corn dog lasted, then he was bored. We got into a little tiff and then left.


On the way home I decided I better get a few sunflower pictures before they wilted all away. I think I will enter one in the fair. What do you think?







No comments: